Information systems and services
The main goal of the IT department is the implementation of IT systems, IT technologies and IT services to support the processes of Nazarbayev University and its organizations.
Depending on the purpose for implementing the IT technology, information systems and services are divided between academic and administrative systems.
Our users are:
- Students of different type of forms;
- Schools and international partners;
- Staff of Nazarbayev University and its affiliated organizations.
Academic information systems and services
The Admissions System is designed to register applicants to the portal, fill out application forms and process applicants’ information by admissions staff.
- registration to the portal;
- personal account of applicant;
- online application;
- life cycle management of application;
- control over the status of applicants' applications;
- application processing;
- formation of reports (a set of statistical data of applicants).
The Office of the Registrar System is designed to maintain the student base, organize and support the academic processes. The main objective of the system is providing accurate and timely services to students, faculty and staff of the University.
- building a catalog of courses for all schools;
- online registration for courses;
- support the database of all students;
- automatic scheduling;
- providing information about the process of teaching students and teachers;
- issuing certificates and transcripts of students.
Automated Library Information System (ABIS) is intended for automation of library processes:
- service orders;
- Digital catalogue;
- Books searching;
- reserving of small-scale books;
- Inventory of books / e-media of information;
- booking and viewing of electronic publications.
Bar-coding technology and RFID for copies of documents and reader tickets are supported.
The e-learning system (LMS Moodle) is intended for the organization of educational resources and educational activities. The system is focused, first of all, on the organization of interaction between the teacher and students.
- preparation and management of the educational process;
- distribution of teaching materials for students;
- provision of training materials.
Administrative and infrastructural information systems and services
The internal portal of Nazarbayev University is designed to provide up-to-date information for students and employees, as well as interactive services with following functions:
- the creation of a mechanism to control and supervise all student clubs, as well as their activities on-line;
- displaying news and events;
- service to make an appointment to a psychologist;
- services to pay online for laundry, sports center and recovering ID card;
- services to pay online for printing and making a copy of document;
- service to book audiences;
- service to view vacation days;
- service for assessment of key performance indicators;
- service for the implementation of an individual development plan of employee;
- user's personal account.
The electronic document management system (DIRECTUM) is designed to automate the following processes:
- register of incoming, outgoing, internal documents, issuing of resolutions;
- register of contracts;
- register of internal regulations;
- organize and hold meetings;
- register orders for business trips and holidays;
- controlling the performance discipline.
System ensures the increase of efficiency and quality of working with documents, reduction of labor costs and reduction of management costs, strengthening control over the execution of documents and tasks and creating conditions for the transition from traditional paper workflow to electronic document management.
Automated accounting system of Nazarbayev University (ACP NU) is designed to automate the process of payment and accounting services. System users are:
- consumers of services who are students and employees of Nazarbayev University;
- service providers who works at Nazarbayev University and its affiliated organizations or third-party organizations that provide services to consumers.
Currently, the System implements 6 types of services that allow users to pay and keep records:
- ID card recovery service;
- Meal Plan;
- laundry service;
- sport center;
- dormitory fee;
- student fund;
- parking payment.
Implemented a separate functionality for Bursar's Office which allows employee to conduct contracts for training and create the invoices for payment for students who are on a fee basis. There is also a separate administrator's toolkit for setting up services and forming various reports.
House management system (HMS) - the main purpose of this system is automate the processes of managing the placement for faculty and students in residential buildings of Nazarbayev University, as well as the provision of prompt access to up-to-date information about living equipment and organizations which are renting spaces for business.
The system is designed to solve following tasks:
- operative management of booking, entry/exit, relocation, etc. functions;
- storage and view detailed information about "Objects", "Guests", "Vehicles" and "Service Organizations";
- operative monitor and visual representation of situation with employment and equipment of "Objects";
- storage and view actual information about "Renters" and "Rates";
- automatic generation of employment reports of "Objects" on existing structure.
System of accounting services for printing and making a copy is designed to automate managing processes of printing, making copy and scanning, including the part of possibility to receive a task which user has been sent to print to any printing devices located at the University and connected to this System, provided successful authorization on the printing device.
The main tasks of the System are:
- managing the print jobs of user;
- sending from any remote user's workplace within the local network;
- prohibition to use copying equipment without prior user authentication;
- authentication with using RFID user card;
- prohibition to use copying equipment if user card is lack of funds.
The Unified User Management System (UUMS) is a unified and centralized management system which contains registration data, user account and user accesses to the university resources by ensuring the transmission of unified information about users in target systems.
The system provides the ability to unify information about users in all information systems of the University by synchronizing user’s data and reference details between information systems.